06 March 2006

i hate the oscars

Crash was NOT the best motion picture of 2005.

If you're asking me (let's pretend, shall we?), Crash was manipulative. I'm not going to pity characters who haven't earned my sympathy. Just because your life is hard doesn't mean you get to be an asshole. There were moments that weren't terrbile, but on the whole I felt like my feelings for the characters were being dictated to me. The script was mostly weak, and yeah. Me no likey the Crash.

But at least it was a surprise. Did you notice that, for the most part, the category favorites were the eventual winners? How boring.

Reese Witherspoon was good in Walk the Line, but she wasn't Academy Award-winning good. But Joaquin Phoenix was. I'm surprised to be be saying it, because reading about the movie and seeing previews didn't prepare me for how truly excellent a Johnny Cash he was. I managed to forget that he was Joaquin. And that, to me, is good acting. Not that Phillip Seymour Hoffman wasn't worthy. I haven't seen Capote yet (due out on DVD March 14th! Same day, might I add, as Good Night, And Good Luck). I'm just saying that if Walk the Line was going to win awards for acting, the wrong person was recognized.

John Stewart didn't wow me. Maybe it's because I wanted him to. He's no Billy Crystal. To make it better, I'm making him responsible for everyone receiving their awards on stage again. Good job, John! Thanks for setting the suits at the Academy straight!!!

And you know what? George Clooney is really sexy. Whether he's technically my type or not, the man will not be denied!

That's about all the commentary I've got. We attempted to make viewing the Oscars a special celebration of sorts, and bought several movie-appropriate snacks from Hannaford shortly before showtime. Kettle popcorn, pull & peel Twizzlers, Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches (which made my morning coffee even more enjoyable), IBC cream soda, and the most disgusting flavor of Skittles known to man. Take my advice: Smoothie Skittles are not worth the money or the heartache. Jeremy has taken to calling them "candle bites".

It occured to me yesterday that the Oscars are aired on television, and then are eligible for an Emmy...shouldn't, in turn, the Emmys be a movie, and eligible to win an Oscar? Is this a sign, perhaps, that television is the more powerful medium? I'm just saying... don't step to the TV, friends.

1 comment:

em said...

I agree with you about Crash 100%. I agree with the manipulative thing... and I also think it reinforced a lot of stereotypes. Really. It didn't really speak to any real sorts of racial situations. Come on, Matt D's cop character has trouble with his dad'd hmo so he gropes a lady who, in all of L.A. ends up being a woman he has to save? And Ryan Phillipe's character is the 'good cop' who doesn't realize he is racist and ends up shooting a guy because he doesn't believe a black man would be at a hockey game?
Silly. So silly.
I agree about Reese W. and Joaquim P., too.