19 October 2005

the inner loser, finally realized

I watched two things on television today:
1) Lauren Graham
2) digitally animated evil-destroying asian twentysomethings.

That's three episodes of Gilmore Girls, and almost nine hours of "Final Fantasy X". But it wasn't Jeremy who played the latter. It was me.

I played nine hours of a video game. And I could very easily go back downstairs and play more.

What is my problem? I mean, no offense to anyone who has always enjoyed the game, but I have never found it to be anything other than bland, and a huge waste of time. And that I suddenly found the urge to not only pick up a controller and start playing the game, but to continue doing so well into the night? I'm not well. Someone stop me before I start appreciating Buffy the Vampire Slayer (again, no offense) or Lord of the Rings (take offense here. There's simply no excuse).

I'm fairly sure this new, pathetic development is contributing to my inability to fall asleep. We came up to bed two hours ago, and I've done nothing but squirm and itch in that time. So here I am, fighting the urge to chip another hour or two off of my Playstation saga. It kills me - I still don't necessarily "enjoy" the game. It's cheesy videos of cheesy dialogue, strung together with battles I don't necessarily understand (applying ether, a magical firaga attack...I can't tell you what any of it means!)...and that GRID! I sure do hate the grid! But still, that's where I'd like to be right now.

Screw it. I'm going to go itch and play video games. I've got years to make up for.

3 comments:

em said...

i played final fantasy 8 until my eyes bled and i couldn't walk- i assume i would have the same problem with 10- i avoid video games at all costs these days- i just remember the winter i played tekken 3 all hours of the night most every night and ended up at work many a day after no sleep-

i gave my playstation to a kid whose girlfriend dumped him to improve my karma and my eyesight

Erin said...

I could never get into playing video games - instead, I enjoy watching other people play video games. I became obsessed with watching Bill play "Lego Star Wars." It's really fun. It's like a movie, but you don't yet know the ending.

Bill D. said...

If I play video games before I go to bed - even if it's Ms. Pac-Man or something - I get really wired and cannot go to sleep. It's electronic crystal meth or something.

I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since FF7, and I don't think I ever even finished that one. They're fun, but I don't have the time or patience for role-playing games anymore. I find all the levelling up annoying.

Of course, that being said, I still need to finish X-Men Legends one of these days.