06 January 2006

book list '05

Only after reading Jim's blog did I realize that my 2005 Book List is done. I had hoped to squeeze a few more titles in, with the hopes of making it longer and smarter-looking. But what can I do now? Submit it. I didn't follow the whole 50 books list concept the way others did. I didn't write anything about the books I read. Which is why I'll attempt a sentence or two here. Because I've got nothing but time today.

Let me acknowledge and thank the Seattle Public Library for a large chunk of these titles, and also thanks to the Jay-Niles Memorial Library. A lot of fun for a little library.

And now, in chronological order:

1. MY LIFE IN HIGH HEELS by Loni Anderson
Very clear that she's trying to clear up the lies that spawned from her very public, very messy divorce from Burt Reynolds, this proved to be an interesting read. She comes off as down-to-earth, and very likeable. I learned that she totally nailed Gary Sandy for two years during WKRP in Cincinnatti (which surprised me, because I always took him for a Jan Smithers-type).

2. GRACIE: A LOVE STORY by George Burns
George Burns is old and sweet and loved his wife. I mean, he was old and sweet and loved his wife. Well-written. I finished this book in a day.

3. A SERIOUS PERSON by Orland Outland
I was surprised by this one. Always kind of a sucker for what I'd describe as the novelization of a gay romantic comedy, Orland Outland combines the stuff that makes for the best beach reads with issues and sentiments that force your brain into gear. Very much worth the mocking I endured (I will admit, the covers scream "fluffy love book").

4. MY WIFE AND MY DEAD WIFE by Michael Kun
I have a hard time when a book ends unsatisfactorily. By unsatisfactorily, I mean not the way I wanted it to end. It was a good book that I enjoyed almost all the way through. I enjoyed it enough to seek out his other book, which I didn't finish.

5. EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF by Orland Outland
Notice that? One book between the two Orland Outland novels? That was intentional. I thought it'd look obsessive if I read them back-to-back. Again, there were guilty pleasure aspects, some stuff that almost didn't work, but was generally validated by the end. And more issues and thinking! I started noticing the pattern in this one. The hard-hitting stuff starts readily presenting itself about 3/4ths of the way through. He doesn't want to beat you over the head with his opinions, but he wants to make sure you're thoroughly sucked in before serving up his opinions on culture and society. This took no more than a weekend.

6. ORACLE NIGHT by Paul Auster
I consider Paul Auster to be my most worthwhile discovery of 2005. I picked this one up randomly, because the cover seemed mysterious. And with a title like "Oracle Night", I was willing to try it. And it was every bit worth it. He relies on footnotes in this book, but he rarely abuses it. I didn't get to read any of his other books this year. Seattle Public Library had one other title, and I didn't get a chance to read it (I owe SPL money for it, actually). And Jay has none of Paul Auster's books.

7. THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE by Nina Niffenegger
Not exactly the kind of book I read, it's overly lovey. But it wasn't bad. I didn't dislike it. After reading it, it started appearing on lists, so I was glad that I read something people are talking about.

8. LITTLE CHILDREN by Tom Perrotta
This is the first Tom Perrotta book I've actually read. It was great. I'll leave it at that.

9. DEATH WORE A SMART LITTLE OUTFIT by Orland Outland
I looked Orland Outland up on the internet after reading and enjoying two of his novels. It was then I learned that he had written a series of Doan-and-Binky mysteries. Not sure what that meant, I was still desperate to locate one, if not all of them. No luck with Seattle Public Library. I struck gold randomly at Half-Price Books in Lynnwood. I bought this for $1. I was somewhat disappointed by it. I eventually sold it. The concept still amuses me, and I can't say I'm not tempted to try the second book of the series. First books, like series pilots, are a little clunky, and overly introductory. Maybe it gets better? I'm not holding my breath.

10. P IS FOR PERIL by Sue Grafton
This is the first mystery writer (other than your Agatha Christies or Sir Arthur Conan Doyles) who hasn't horrified me with terrible writing. She weaves a nice web, and doesn't try to be too clever. This was another $1 book I bought in Lynnwood, drawn by the name after seeing it on Jim's list. Thanks for sharing, Jim!

11. THE BEST LAID PLANS by Sidney Sheldon
Terrible book. I loved every minute of it.

12. G IS FOR GUMSHOE by Sue Grafton
Still good.

13. SUMMER SISTERS by Judy Blume
I'm continually conflicted by Judy Blume's "adult" novels. I don't mean Wifey adult, but you know. Aimed at grown-ups. I was sucked into this book, but I didn't necessarily like it. It had its moments. It was a little risque (if that's how you spell it? risk-AY!). Very L-I-T-E lite read. Or this: I enjoyed it, but didn't like it.

14. MAGICAL THINKING by Augusten Burroughs
I've actually read this book in its entirety three times this year alone. And once last year, right after purchasing it. There are few authors who can write autobiographically-based short stories and end with me desperately wanting to befriend them. Jeremy was quick to point out that no way in hell would Augusten Burroughs be able to tolerate me. He's not wrong. But I can dream, can't I?

15. J IS FOR JUDGEMENT by Sue Grafton
Seriously, it's just the thing sometimes. A good mystery. She doesn't beg you to solve it, she just takes you along for the ride.

16. R IS FOR RICOCHET by Sue Grafton
It was July. We were unemployed and staying with Jeremy's parents. His mother and I handed these off to each other as soon as we were finished with them.

17. RUNNING WITH SCISSORS by Augusten Burroughs
This guy is amazing.

18. DRY by Augusten Burroughs
I read Running With Scissors in a day, then immediately followed it up with Dry. It's totally the way to read these. One of my re-reads of Magical Thinking came immediately after I was done with this one...it makes it even more powerful.

19. A IS FOR ALIBI by Sue Grafton
I was worried about reading the first book of the series after already reading later installments. But this title was pretty solid.

20. EATS, SHOOTS AND LEAVES by Lynne Truss
The funniest punctuation and grammar book you'll ever read!!! I'm constantly afraid of boo-boos as a result. I appreciate her appreciation, and can stand even less to be exposed to anything involving the movie Two Weeks' Notice.

21. BOOKENDS by Jane Green
Eh. Two words: Chick Lit.

22. THE SEVEN SPIRITUAL LAWS OF SUCCESS by Deepak Chopra
The first and probably the last Deepak Chopra book I'll ever read. Not that it wasn't interesting. But it almost feels a little too self-helpy to enjoy. A lot of the concepts are the same as polarity, which was interesting and familiar.

23. A LONG WAY DOWN by Nick Hornby
Not his best book, but I enjoyed it enough. It'd probably make a better movie. I couldn't cast it in my head though. I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has read this.

24. LIFE OF PI by Yann Martel
Once you get through the first 30-50 pages, you will not put the book down. I desperately need to think about the book, but I don't want what I think is the case to BE the case. I can't be clear without ruining the book. I love it, and fear that thinking about it too hard will only depress me.

25. THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN by Mitch Albom
I was curious, okay??? It wasn't as awful as I thought it would be.

26. FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AT THE WHISTLE STOP CAFE by Fannie Flagg
I daresay, without having previously read any of her books, I have underestimated Fannie Flagg. I think I've already used the phrase "weave a web" somewhere in this list, but she does. And it's charming. And good. And I didn't want it to end.

27. ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY by David Sedaris
I've read this several times. I banged it out again on the flight to California. After I finished, I started reading Magical Thinking again.

Twenty-seven books. It felt like more, looked like less... it averages out. Cable has been my downfall. I did nothing but read before we got television hooked up. This year will be different. I've still got access to a decent library. It's not huge, but it's got variety. It's better than Portland Public Library, I can tell you that!

That was kind of fun. I can't speak for you, dear reader. But I had a good time.

No comments: