07 May 2006

no dream job for fannie

AAA Northern New England's Portland location is looking for a "Production Packager". Know what the job descrpition is? MAKE TRIP TIKS! It was posted on April 25th. I have no resume programs on my computer, or access to a computer with such a program. On top of that, I have never in my life written a cover letter. Not only do I not know how to start it (a problem I've always had, be it with term papers, or even blog entries), I'm not sure how I'd best articulate my qualifications:

1) Repeated Trip Tik user/enthusiast
2) Map Enjoyer
3) I LOVE DRIVING DIRECTIONS!

Two questions:
1) Do these things belong in a cover letter?
2) How do I express these statements without sounding like an asshole?

Technically, it doesn't even make sense for me to apply. The job's been posted a week already. They'll probably want to hire soon. Sooner than I'm going to be in the area. Sooner than will allow for us to move and acquire a second vehicle.

Sucky. I would absolutely love this job. How often does AAA hire Trip Tik assemblers? It doesn't seem like a job someone would give up once they had it. Nothing hints at there being an opportunity for me to have this job. Which, sadly, gives me ridiculous levels of false hope.

3 comments:

Bill D. said...

If you have any sort of word processing program, you can write a resume. It may be tricky to space and/or format some stuff, but I believe it is possible for you to make it work.

As for a cover letter, you do want to sound quasi-professional, but you also want to make yourself stand-out, and I know you can accomplish both of these tasks in person, so I'm sure you can on paper.

I wouldn't claim to be an expert by any means, but if you want some help, I'd be more than willing to look over anything you put together. AAA would be lucky to have such a Trip-Tik enthusiast at their beck and call (especially since you're the only one I've ever actually heard of).

Anonymous said...

I think you shouly apply. Do what we did: rush to finance a car the weekend before you start the job! If you want me to edit or look over your resume just email a copy. I used to do resumes and cover letters for people for a fee when I was in school. I got my slacker ex boyfriend into art school!

Anonymous said...

I believe you should apply for this job if you truly want to.
If you get it, all the logistics will take care of themselves.

Plus, the interview will give you an idea if you really want the job or not (it might be very different than what you think it is).

Resumes aren't difficult at all. I would also be willing to help you write it, or look it over for you if you want.